A quick internet search can reveal many work from home scams. They charge you upfront fees and lure you to work with them. online income But actually they are just cheating you out of your hard-earned money.
I know you want to find some legitimate work from home jobs that are not rip-offs. So, I have scoured through hundreds of ways to work at home, and came up with the 50 legitimate ways to make money from home.
Some will just make you a few bucks a month, but others can become powerful moneymakers depending on the time you have to invest in them.
Read on to find out about some of the exciting ways to make money from home. You may even find something you’ve never heard of before.
Make money online and from home
Don’t have any hidden talents? Don’t worry! We’ve got something for you as well.
I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. – Albert EinsteinMy wife Katie is not crafty so instead planned a local 5K run.
We bought our chickens from a woman who raises chicks to sell for $25/each (read on if you don’t want to raise and sell chickens).
1. Start a blog or online businessOnline business is how I’ve made a living since 2003 and what has helped me retire early. I make over $40,000 a month through my blog. You can create your own blog here with my easy 15-minute step-by-step tutorial. You can start a blog for as little as $2.95 a month (less than a cup of coffee!). Create a blog and leverage it into affiliate sales or product endorsement deals. Consider topics like:
2. Take part in surveys to make an extra $250+ a monthSimply answer online surveys or product tests and make money from home. You can easily make an extra $250 a month while watching T.V.
Take a look at some paid survey websites listed below. At all of these websites you not only earn some extra cash, but also get rewarded through gift vouchers, prize drawings, free products, etc. All of these sites are free to sign up and use. Heads up: If any survey site asks you to pay, they are probably scams.
American Consumer Opinion
Update: Here are some additional survey sites we’ve added since this article was first published: PaidSurveys, ProOpinion, Opinion Outpost, MySurvey, My Soap Box, and Global Test Market.
99 Minute MillionaireMy best-selling book is available as a FREE audiobook for a limited time. 200+ 5-Star reviews on Amazon. Click play to listen to the Welcome.
3. Get a free $10 Amazon gift cardSign up for MyPoints and get a free $10 Amazon gift card. It’s easy to get started:
- Join MyPoints here for free.
- Shop over 1,900 top online retailers (including Amazon, Walmart, and Target) through MyPoints and earn points for your purchases.
- Redeem your points for gift cards, travel miles and more from over 75 top retail, restaurant and travel partners.
4. Watch movie previews, YouTube, and like videosDo you like watching videos in your free time? Now, you can get paid for watching videos including movie previews, news, celebrity videos, and all kinds of other videos.
Sites like Swagbucks ask you to watch certain videos and like them. You have to watch for a certain number of minutes which you’ll be told ahead of time. You could earn over $200 a month (earnings vary). You’ll earn Swagbucks for watching (points that can be redeemed for gift cards or Paypal). You can get $5 just for signing up!
5. Get Money Back Instantly For Stuff You’ve Already BoughtDo you love getting refunds? How cool would it be to get money back on stuff you’ve already bought? Paribus is a service that lets you find out if stores you’ve shopped at online owe you a refund. It’s free to sign up. Paribus connects to your email account and checks your receipts. If they find out a retailer has dropped their price they file a price adjustment claim for you. Try out Paribus.
Paribus works with a huge number of merchants that you probably already shop at, including Walmart, Costco, Best Buy, Target, Apple, Kohl’s, and more!
6. Sign up for free gift cardsEbates will give you a $10 gift card when you sign up and earn your first cashback rebate. It’s great for online shoppers. Ebates is free to use.
7. Download and install these appsA lot of companies – including Google – pay you for installing their apps. Moreover, you get paid for each month the apps are installed on your phone. Some of these sites include:
- ShopTracker – Answer a few questions then launch the app on your device, and you’ll earn $3.00 instantly. Keep the app on your phone to earn money each month and help companies understand what people are buying online.
- Nielsen Mobile Panel – From the people that run Nielsen TV ratings, the Nielsen mobile app rewards you for using your mobile device. You can earn up to $50 a year.
- MobileXpression – Install this app and you’ll be eligible to win prizes each week. You get to play an instant rewards game by participating in market research.
8. Test websites for $30 an hourEver visit a website and you thought about how bad or how great it was? Now you can get paid to share your thoughts.
Just open a website, click around, and get paid. New or updated website owners compensate you to test their sites.
For example with User Testing you can earn almost $30 for an hour. Here’s how it works:
- You get paid $10 via PayPal for every 20-minute video you complete.
- UserTesting pays you to visit websites or apps, complete a set of tasks, and record your thoughts.
Check out how to make quick money from home testing websites for a full list of companies that will pay you for testing.
9. Get paid for being healthyThe health app AchieveMint gives you points for being healthy and doing things like walking, tracking your food, or taking health surveys. You earn points which can be redeemed for cash or Amazon Gift Cards. For every 10,000 points, you earn $10 and there is no limit on your earnings.
AchieveMint connects to the fitness apps you may already be using including Fitbit, RunKeeper, Healthkit, and MyFitnessPal.
You can earn 10 points just for signing up with AchieveMint and connecting an app.
10. Become a freelancer or freelance writerDoing freelance work can greatly increase your income. Are you a stay at home mom with an English degree or a guy who naturally can find mistakes in written text?
Huge and trustworthy sites like Upwork have thousands of employers who want to hire for all kinds of tasks where you can write or edit about anything from technology to business articles. Get paid for every single article. Get a great reputation and you can turn this into a full-time job.
Read the 7 easy steps to become a freelance writer.
11. Technical freelancingFreelancing isn’t all about writing. You can do everything from design, graphics, marketing, and web programming jobs from sites like:
12. Become a virtual assistantWork for someone from home. Virtual assistances (VAs) can do everything from checking emails and making travel plans to handling internet research or working for their small business. High-end earners can command $50-$100 an hour.
Some reputable sites are Zirtual and Upwork
Read how to become a virtual assistant and work from home.
13. TutoringGive private tuition classes at your home and use your SAT knowledge. Choose your schedule, if you have some imperative routine tasks.
Or rather, go for online tutoring and earn $20 per hour on Chegg Tutors.
14. Share your viewsShare your honest opinions for everyday services and products you use with focus group companies. These organizations can improve their products on your feedback, and you get to make $50, $100, or more. Check out 2020 Panel.
A friend does this at his local mall. He only makes a little side money doing the focus groups, but it pays for a babysitter and a night out occasionally.
15. Rate pizzasMany companies pay you for rating local pizza shops. You just have to rate the place on the quality of their pizza and note their delivery time. For this, you can get a free pizza, plus $5. Just register on Trendsource and get started.
16. Review stuffWrite a review and earn anything between $1 and $50 per review according to the requirement. Yelp can give you some special invites.
17. Change your search engineDo you use Google or Yahoo to search for something on the net? Now, leave them behind and opt for the Bing search engine.
Conduct your regular searches on Bing, make it your default search engine, and earn credits that can be redeemed for gift cards. You can earn as much as $5 to $10 per month. Tip: Just stay signed-in, when you perform a search.
Another option is Nielsen Digital Voice. Digital Voice is a part of Nielsen – the big company that publishes T.V. ratings. Just surf the web and you may be able to start earning money.
18. Data entryUse your accurate and quick typing skills to enter information. Go through Craigslist or Upwork and find data entry and administrative jobs for yourself. These jobs can be easily done through telecommuting.
19. Work for AmazonPick micro tasks from Amazon Mechanical Turk. These are services that require human interaction. You can work from home, flexible hours and get paid by one of the world’s largest retailers.
Here are some examples of tasks workers have completed:
- Select the correct spelling for these search terms
- Is this website suitable for a general audience?
- Find the item number for the product in this image
- Rate the search results for these keywords
- Are these two products the same?
- Choose the appropriate category for products
- Categorize the tone of this article
- Translate a paragraph from English to French
Zero Down Your Debt. Click play to find out how:
Scott is brilliant with finances and has the technical skills and experience to get his extremely helpful advice out to all. He is a generous soul wishing to pass along his good fortune to others in the form of what one can do for one’s self in the murky world of finances.”– A. Marie
20. Online travel agentDo you explore travel websites like Expedia in your free time? Then, do it for a commission by offering your services as an alternative to travel agencies. Start at Wikihow for tips to get started.
21. Associate marketingIf you already have a blog on something that interests you, turn it into a money maker.
Join an associate network like Amazon Affiliate or Google AdSense, choose products to promote, and advertise them on your content site. Whenever someone reads your blog or article, you get paid.
22. Sell lesson plansHave a soft corner for academic study? Sell your lesson plans, especially to new teachers or first-year teachers.
Teachers Pay Teachers is a market of educators, where you can sell and share your teaching resources.
23. Play online gamesAre you an arcade or a poker champion? Play some of your favorite puzzle or card games at InboxDollars. It is fun, plus you can play for free as well as compete for rewards.
24. Take part in an online focus groupParticipate in an online focus group like ProOpinion and get paid through a check, gift card, or PayPal deposit.
25. Examine search enginesAt Leapforce, you can evaluate search engines by conducting researches on predefined queries, analyzing them, and providing feedback for search engine results by their usage and relevance.
26. Maintain fan pagesFan pages on Twitter or Facebook require people to connect with them. Log on to Fiverr and get jobs for maintaining social pages.
The Simple Math of How The Rich Get Richer. Click play to listen:
I am so glad I stumbled across the Financial Rock Star! The advice is personal, fun, encouraging, awesome, and will guide you to smart decisions and financial freedom! Top Notch show and Rockstar host!”– Joel L.
27. Fix Google’s mistakesSites like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. pay you for fixing their search results. You just have to mend the errors of the search engine results and make them qualitative, relevant, and useful. Doing this you can earn around $12 per hour.
28. Online jurorDo you love Law and Order? Ever wanted to sit in a courtroom and decide if someone is innocent or guilty?
eJury provides an attorney the opportunity to “pre-try” the case before it goes to trial in front of an actual jury at the courthouse.
eJurors review facts and answer the questions, and click a “Submit Verdict” button upon completion.
For each verdict rendered, eJurors are paid $5 – $10 depending on the length of the case. You certainly won’t get rich serving as an eJuror, but just one case a week would probably pay for your Internet access.
Become a Millionaire on $30,000 a Year. Click play to find out how:
LOVE Scott’s energy! Business/money can be a pretty dry and boring topic depending on who’s doing the talking and that is definitely not the case with Scott. Keeps me engaged and motivated. Also, what an awesome ‘radio’ voice. Highly recommend!”– Britany FelixThe Scott Alan Turner Podcast: Subscribe now on Apple Podcasts / Google Play
Be a caregiver
29. Pet sittingDo you adore pets? Go for pet sitting at your place. Make sure your house can accommodate numerous pets.
Websites like Care.com brings together pet sitters and people looking for pet care. Remember to quote your rates wisely.
30. At-home daycareIf you are home with your children, why not start an at home daycare.
They are highly sought out in our area of Dallas because people like that they are close and that there are much fewer children involved that a more corporate daycare.
You will need to get a certification from your state, but you can make big bucks caring for children while getting to spend the day with your children as well.
31. CalligraphyDo hand lettering for invitation cards, wedding cards, and other stationery. Use your favorite font combinations and start off with your calligraphy adventure. Look at the Etsy Calligraphy section.
32. TranscriptionistEven if you don’t like your writing skills or have a programming talent, you can still do freelance transcription. Transcribing is detailed work, but luckily you can do it any time of night or day. Check the same sites listed above.
33. CookA college friend makes the most beautiful cookies and finds events to sell them all year long – birthdays, holidays, football parties, the list is endless.
Some people love to cook and bake. If this is you, consider running a catering business from your kitchen. Bake cakes or cookies for birthday parties, dinners, or other events.
Make sure to abide by the food safety laws and have fun.
There are many moms who don’t have time to make homemade food for bake sales and parties and families who want a holiday feast without the trouble.
34. Start a side businessBecome an online personal stylist or the many other options to start something on the side. It will take effort, but there are many different routes you can go.
You can work with an existing company, like Avon, Jamberry, and Stitch Fix, which will help you get started. Or find a need in your community that might need addressing. Do local companies need your accounting skills?
Rent your things
35. Rent your parking spaceIf you don’t use your parking spot during your working hours, consider renting it out on Craigslist.
36. Rent your automobileNot using your car while on a trip or weekend? Rent it out. RelayRides and GetAround will assist you in this while paying you on a per hour basis.
37. Rent your clothes onlineIf you have a closet full of clothes that you haven’t worn in a long time, rent them out. Sites like RentNotBuy and Loanables make this possible.
If they don’t fit anymore or not fitting your current lifestyle include them in the garage sale or selling online mentioned above.
38. Rent your bike, cycle, snowsports, or any other gearWhen not in use, rent out your favorite equipment. You can use Spinlister to rent your sports gear.
39. Rent out your studio space, music instrumentsIs your guitar lying in the corner of your room, without any daily usage? Make money by renting it on Sparkplug. You can do this for other your music instruments also, like amps, mics, harps, or your rehearsal room or studio.
It’s Never Too Late To Get Started. Click play to get inspired:
I live overseas and often find the programs available for planning and budgeting just do not make sense to me. The guidance that Scott provides can be applied to any household regardless of where in the world you live.”– Parenting AbroadThe Scott Alan Turner Podcast: Subscribe now on Apple Podcasts / Google Play
Make money from stuff you already own
Making money is a hobby that will complement any other hobbies you have, beautifully. – Scott Alexander
40. Tidy upYou probably have much more stuff than you realize. According to The National Association of Homebuilders, the average house size in 1973 was 1,644 square feet. That grew to 2,624 square feet in 2014. Clean the dust, sort out your storage closet, and put up a garage sale.
If you are overwhelmed with “stuff” in your house, check out a great book called, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. The book is about changing your perceptions of your things so you can keep what is really important and get rid of what is not.
41. Sell your antiquesDid you collect things when you were younger or have items that fit your last home but don’t fit your new one? Get out all your collectibles and sell them off. If some are antiques or collectibles, make sure to get them appraised. Otherwise, you may sell some rare items at low prices.
Sadly my long kept collection of Star Wars and X-Files trading cards were only selling for a few cents on eBay, so I decided just to keep them for the memories.
42. Flea market tossing or flippingIf you have a crafty side, put it to good use. Visit the nearest flea market, Craigslist, or Freecycle.org and buy some interesting items, restore them, add your special touch, and resell them for a profit.
Think about refinishing tables or converting old plates into art. Turn trash into treasure.
If you need ideas, check out Pinterest. It has a world of ideas, and you’d be surprised how much people will pay for a custom baby nursery lamp or a re-stained bar from the 70s.
If you enjoy this type of work, consider starting an Etsy store. One of my wife’s friends felt staying home with her two boys was great, but she missed having an artistic outlet. She researched what was popular on Etsy and started making artistic versions of people’s photos. It only took a few months for her shop to become as busy.
43. Sell your cell phoneWhether a new model or an old one, you can sell your cell phone. You can go for Amazon that gives gift cards for working iPhones, or websites like Decluttr that give you cash for that old phone.
44. Return printer cartridgesHand in your empty printer cartridges to office supply stores like Office Depot, Staples, etc. for free credits.
45. Sell your old snapshotsDo you have some random pictures lying somewhere or taking computer space? Sell them on stock photo sites like Shutterstock.
Such websites purchase photos from anyone. Even if you feel that the images are not worth selling, just give it a try. Very often, the most neglected pictures of everyday objects do the trick, like a simple pen and paper.
46. Bed and breakfast or AirBnBYou already have a place to live. If you live near a college campus with visiting parents or near music or sports venues, consider starting a little bed and breakfast.
If that seems too hard, check out sites like AirBnB, which help you rent safely and ensure you get paid. I used this service when traveling in Switzerland with a friend and can confirm it is a great service.
47. Sell onlineA garage sale might not be your style, or maybe you only have a few really nice things you want to sell. Consider selling on Ebay, Craigslist, and Facebook groups.
My wife sold some Kate Spade purses that she no longer used and made much more by using Ebay than trying to sell locally. She started by asking a very low price for the purses and the bidding drove the price up much higher than she expected.
48. Open a bank accountA simple Google search for banks giving bonuses for opening accounts returns a list of current offers. Be careful to read the requirements, but if you have time, you can make a few hundred dollars.
49. Sell your booksCheck out this recent story from frugal living expert Lauren Greutman:
My 10-year-old son brought home a book from our park’s free library box. It was a biology textbook – teachers edition. He said it looked interesting and hey, it was free (having no idea you could sell it). I scanned it in my Amazon seller app and realized it was worth around $150. He was so excited. We listed it for sale for $130 and it sold! Going to tell him, he just made $130!
Even regular books can earn you money. Stores like Half Priced Books and others will give you cents to dollars for each of your current books. It saves space on your shelves for something new, and you earn a few bucks.
But if you want the most cash for your books, check out getting rid of your old books using BookScouter.
- Enter the ISBN of your book into BookScouter
- BookScouter searches their database for the highest paying book buyback companies.
- Once you find the company offering you the most money for your books, you fill out some information
- Ship off your book, and get paid! Most companies offer pre-paid shipping labels which saves you time from having to print shipping or go to the post office. It’s super easy!
The Unknown Millionaire. Click play to hear his story:
Scott ROCKS ON this podcast with his upbeat personality and his advice. He provides a lot of good information to improve our finances, from basic steps to more advanced. His website is also full of great information! Thank you Scott!”– JessThe Scott Alan Turner Podcast: Subscribe now on Apple Podcasts / Google Play
50. Shop online and earn cash backSites like eBates (Fat Wallet has since shut down) pay you back when you shop at their store. This can mean discounts for you or simple cash back deals.
51. Buy groceries and get rebatesMany rebate apps like Ibotta offer cash rebates on grocery store purchases. You just have to take a picture of your grocery receipt with your phone, and you can even buy groceries from your regular grocery store.
52. Share what’s in your fridgeThe Nielsen Consumer Panel offers gift points to look what’s in your fridge. You just have to scan barcodes of your fridge products and send it to them. Here’s how it works:
- Each week, you scan all of your purchases and transmit the data. You may also be contacted from time to time about your opinions and to answer questions.
- Being a panelist takes about an hour a week.
- You accumulate points with each interaction and earn more points the longer you’re on the panel.
- When you’re ready, you cash these points in to get rewards.
53. Sell your junk mailDo you love getting junk mail? If you’re like me, you probably don’t – that’s why we call it junk! Other than recycle, trash, or burn it in the winter what can you do with it?
The Small Business Knowledge Center is a market research company that will take your junk mail and email and give you a Visa prepaid card.
Thanks to The Penny Hoarder for some of the inspiration for this post. Paribus compensates us when you sign up for Paribus using the links we provided.
online income online income